Friday, October 21, 2005

Shut the hell up!!!

I am teaching at the grade school. It is basically the most insane place on the whole earth.
I had a class today with no coteacher. This would normally be a bit of a shock, but at this school, my coteachers don't do anythig anyways. They basically just sit there and watch me do stuff. So it wasn't too intimidating. Today's lesson was "Can you help me, please?" The first things I did was have the sort out pictures from Canada by the title. They like this, but not a lot. Pictures went over better before. But it's good, because it's fun for me. Then, we do a dialogue... bla bla bla, they learn nothing, because my lessons are weeks behind where the class is at. pointless.
My ears are currently ringing. I eat lunch with the kids, because it is more interesting than eating with the staff. The staff don't know english, or won't try, and I sure don't know Korean. But 10-year old kids are dying to try out the three phrases they know on me.
My ears are ringing because they aren't content to just talk to me, they have to yell to me. And not just in my direction, but preferrably, directly in my ear. They also like to massage me as they speak, which is a little weird. Although, there is very little tension in my arms now.
The best part of lunch is that they all try to insult their friends, btu they have no grasp of the difference between you, me, he, and she. So, they point at their friend and say "I am a pig" or "You am a monkey!". And then I say "You're a pig?!", or "I am a monkey?!?!" hold my hand to my chest and look hurt. And then, they all kill themselves laughing. Directly into my ear.
Then, they all want my signature. I usually refuse, but today, I decided to have some fun. So I signed "This is not my signature". Then, they came back, and said "Write your name!". So I wrote "your name". This went on for a while. When I was in the process of writing "Ahhh, aah, aaa.." on the sheet (by request, of course), one of them totally rubbed my ass. Not accidentally, either. There was intent, and that intent was apparently to squeeze and discern detail. A LOT of detail.
Now, I am back in the office, and my ears are in shock because of the relative quiet.
I also got told that my name was beautiful, which rocks.

And that is all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a blast! Some days are better than others I guess. I know that I couldn't handle that many kids in one place. Well, gotta get back to...whatever it is they call what I do here.

Ying