Thursday, December 08, 2005

Discipline Situation

Yesterday I was having a really good day.
My classes were going wonderfully, and I was allowed to leave early to go home because of the weather. Sweet!
On the way home though, I came accross a snowball fight. Harmless fun, I thought.
But when I got closer, I realized that it wasn't a snowball fight so much as four kids whipping ice chunks from very very close range at one kid who was just standing there trying to protect his face.
When I got close, they hugged him, trying to hide the fact that his face was cut up and that he was bawling.
I yelled at them, ineffectively, because they could not understand me. Then, they tried to guide me away, presumably, so they could resume the beating. I didn't leave. I made them leave. But they hung out at the corner, waiting for the kid. The poor guy.
He was really embarassed, and he crossed the street without me to avoid a group of other boys from the school. He was still crying, so it was understandable.
I kept an eye on him and the other boys, to make sure that they didn't follow him, and then I walked home. I don't have any ability to discipline anyone, so all I can do is pass it on.
Anyways, today, I did. The boys did not know though, and nothing happened until after second period.
This led to the greatest first period on a Thursday yet. The two boys who are always causing trouble were on extra good behaviour today. I think they were a little scared of me even. This compounded any effect I had left over from last week when I flipped and stormed out of class.
They were cooperative. They answered questions. They shushed their classmates! It was great.
Second period was good as always.
Third period, I picked out the boys from their school photos, which was hard, because for some of the boys,the photos were several years old.
When I came back to the office after fourth period, they were all kneeling in the office. Unfortunately, kneeling in my direction, which is a little awkward. Oh well, they deserved it.
It turns out though that they may have gone too far, but only a bit, and not unprovoked. They were picking on that boy because he had tried to defend his classmates by throwing a big ice ball at them! They didn't like that, and neither did his classmates, so they all ganged up on him afterwards. So, it wasn't unprovoked, but definitely still overkill.

No comments: