Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snow Day! The aftermath.

Yesterday was a snow day.
It wound up snowing almost a foot, and as there are no ploughs here, apparently, school was cancelled. So Jessie and I wound up with a day off.
We were awoken around 9:40 (it was a day off) by the ringing of our phone. The oldest daughter of our Korean tutoring-family was on the phone, asking us to come outside and play. We said we would need some time. We met them at 10:30.
Having still not eaten, we went outside for some playing. There were about ten kids outside. It quickly turned into a game of "pelt the foreigner", and within fifteen minutes, I had had enough of the snowball fight game. This was announced by me screaming as I backed up a staircase so that no-one could get behind me.
After that, things were a little calmer, although I still got nailed in the face a few times by a kid who was a little too into the game and did not realize that it had ended.
After that, we tried to make a snowman, but the snow was too heavy to make any decent big snowballs. So, I held it, and they handed me smaller snowballs, which I pounded into the big one to make it bigger. Then, once it was big enough, I hoisted it over my head and chased the kids around with it.
The rest of the morning involved picking up kids and dropping them into snow drifts, and throwing big snowballs off the top of the parking garage, to the delight to the now about 35 kids who had gathered.
Then I got nailed in the face again, and decided it was time to go in.
We had more midnight pasta, and some refired garlic mashed potatoes, and of course, coffee and hot chocolate.
By then, the buses were running again, so I headed to Kwangju for what was to be the most expensive day of the whole adventure so far.
I bought a digital camera. I wanted to get a digital SLR in Korea, but I have learned that they aren't actually any cheaper here. Plus, all the controls will be in Korean, so I will be just as well off to wait until I get home and can actually talk to a salesperson about it.
The camera I got is by Samsung, it has 5 MP, 3x optical zoom, 2.8x digital zoom, a huge LCD screen, and many settings, including a safety flash, which sounded pretty cool in online reviews. It was almost $400, but I got them to throw in a memory chip for free, so I still felt thrifty. I guess I am thrifty anyways, since I researched it at home first.
I also bought a 50L backpack (that expands to 60L) for our trip to Thailand. 50L should be more than enough space for our stuff, and some souvenirs. And, it'll allow more backpacking in the future. It was about $160 after some discounts.
Then I got home for more midnight pasta. As you can see, we take our Atkins very seriously.

No comments: