Monday, December 26, 2005

Random Thoughts - sorry veggies.

I feel maybe I was too hard on the veggies. I'd rather clarify than edit... so here we go.
They were being weird about us eating meat, but after dinner, they were great folks. Real great.
Okay, so that's done.

Direct quote from Jessie the other day:
"Korean love to give me gum. Especially the mildly retarded ones."

So, they really have no way to deal with the snow here. At first I thought maybe it was just a lack of readiness, but I have since realized that it has more to do with the fact that there is just nothing to do with it. There are no wide shoulders to push the snow onto. If you want snow out of your store's walkway, the only place to put it is onto the road. Now, you have the added bonus of a speedbump that will be frozen in place for up to a month.
Not to mention that this is the most snow they have received in between 11 and 65 years, depending on who you are talking to. According to the international Herald Tribune, one region of Korea south of Seoul received 92 inches. That's 7'8"! That is insane!

The schools are still frighteningly cold, all of the time. Here's a tip, Korea. It's called closing the door. I realize that a) insulation is expensive and that b) heating is expensive. But, come one, use what you've got. Close the damned doors. Close the windows. I should not have to yell about closing the door when it only leads into the hallway. Of course, I have to, because all the windows and doors that lead outside are wide open.
Also, I should not seeing steam when I pee. I'm not ice-fishing! Why am I wearing a parka and toque to the bathroom? Same goes for the cafeteria. Am I on a scientific expedition? Am I studying the habits of wolves? No. I am supposed to be teaching. Not learning to use chopsticks with mittens on.
And another thing, while I am going. Clean the damned bathrooms. If you cleaned them properly, you would not have to leave the windows open to air them out. If you left the windows closed, the pipes would not freeze, and I would be able to wash my hands. Also, the girls would be able to properly wash the floors.
When did opening windows ever count as cleaning anyways?
Gah!

No comments: