Monday, December 19, 2005

Good weekend!

This weekend was very welcome!
It had been a really busy week. Regular school stuff, plus all this:
Monday: TOO MUCH SNOW! I had about half an inch caked on me on all sides when I arrived home after a twenty minute walk.
Tuesday: UNESCO dinner in Kwangju, featuring a performance by Jessie and I, ate up entire night.
Wednesday: Had to go to Mokpo to update our address information on our Alien Resident Card so that we can register to vote. Pretty much all night again.
Thursday: Snow again, piano lessons and Korean lessons are cancelled. Lazy night, only one of the week.
Friday: Jessie has a meeting in Kwangju, I meet her to do some Christmas/grocery shopping/browsing.

And that is the story of how I missed a whole week of piano lessons straight. I still can't believe that happened! But I'm back to it tonight.

Anyways, Saturday was a definitive lazy day. We had planned on taking a walk, but there were near white-out conditions half the time, and we couldn't even see accross the street! So, no thanks. If I wanted that I'd have stayed in Canada. I actually made it out for about half an hour during one of the breaks in the storm (which was still pretty snowy). I took a new road I haven't been down yet, and it made me realize that there are whole areas of this tiny little town that I haven't even explored yet! So, I have a lot of work to do during the holidays.

On Sunday, we went to Sarah and Rodrigo's for lunch and a book exchange. It was a good lunch, with hamburger patties (a delicacy I haven't had since Canada!) and a sweet potatoe soup that came out a surprising green shade and tasted almost like ginger-pudding. It was not what I had expected after hearing "soup" but it was still pretty good!
It was really refreshing to hang out with some foreigners for a while, and we of course, ranted for a while about Korea, watched some creepy Korean Christmas music videos for children (one featuring a Christmas bat-demon that gave everyone bombs for Christmas, only to receive his comeuppance from a boxing glove-in-the-box).
Jessie and I headed out for more shopping (coteacher presents) and quickly realized that we had no idea where we were, or where to catch a cab. So, we started walking. We had a really nice walk along the sea-shore (kind of) walking by the fish-mongers (which Jessie pointed out was one of the few times she could correctly use the word) and little market stalls. It was kind of the Korean experience I had envisioned before coming, which I had been missing in our tiny tiny town. After about an hour and a half, we finally managed to navigate our way to the E-Mart, and the Pizza Hut that was accross the street. We ate way too much, went shopping, and I spent a ton of money on candy for the party I had promised the boys at the middle school.

And now, it's Monday, and I'm back at my freezing cold english lab, wishing that they had insulated this building. Soon the girls will pour in, and what little heat I have managed to build up in here will be quickly swept out the doors. I may actually teach in my coat today, although I will feel like a dick in a coat and sandals.

No comments: