Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A week of playing movies and calling it a lesson.

So, classes are almost finished for the year.
I find it so strange that I work for four months, and then get two months of payed holidays.
I mean, the work isn't even that hard. The only hard part is the frustration over unmotivated students/unmotivated coworkers/communication difficulties/cultural difficulties (in the form of nosiness/pushiness mostly).
I mean, planning conversation classes aren't very difficult, because all you need is an idea, and you can move the target based on how the class reacts once you're going. Just go and... converse! Also, bring some candies. Making it funny helps too.
So, the contest that I had at the boys' school culminates this week with candies and movies. I don't think the boys ever caught on to the fact that the contest was completely bogus. I kept score for one week, so I would have numbers to show if anyone asked. But then I stopped completely! Basically, first place went to the class I liked the best, who seemed to try every week. And everyone else will still get to watch a movie, even though I told them that if they lost they would have to do pushups and laps in the field.
The only kink in the whole plan is a boy named No Kyeong-min. This kid tried so hard. He talked to me almost every day, invited me to his house (which I couldn't find because of the lack of street signs) and even tried to teach me some Korean words! So, even though his class was pretty dead-beat, they will be declared second because of his effort. And, I made him a special certificate as a reward. Marks and awards are a big drive for him, so this should make him and his family very happy.
Anyways, I should get back to party plans.

Watching National Treasure is educational, right?!

No comments: