Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Memories of Kingston

I was walking down what should have been the sidewalk this morning, and I couldn't help but think of the many winter mornings that I had at Queen's.
The common thread is that both Korea and Queen's apparently lack the technology to plough sidewalks. It's understandable here, they have no ploughs. The recent snowfall was apparently an act of God, the biggest in the last 65 years. But Queen's? Come on now.
Sweet, sweet memories.
I also received an offical invitation to the UNESCO dinner today that I was "volunteered" to attend and entertain at about a month back. After my performance at the camp, the organizers were apparently so impressed, they decided to arrange transport and permissions for me to leave school early at attend their dinner in Kwangju before they even notified me. Well, they did a good job of eliminating any excuses, if it had been my intention to decline I would have been out of luck, with absolutely no way out.
But, I am more than happy to preform, luckily for them. They asked me to prepare one song with the other Canadians, two myself, and two more for "encores".
Then I recieved this e-mail:
Dear Mr. Matt Amond,
There is some change about your performance.
Your group will last show up on the stage. Mr. Park asked two group songs and one solo. All of your Canadian group will sing a carol song first, and you will do your solo with the rest of Canadians on the stage, and finally all of you will sing "Silent night and Holy Night"
This is his scheme. Could you please do this?
This would be fine, if it didn't volunteer the whole group now. Me, fine, but putting the whole group on stage and making them actual hymns is a little much. I misinterpreted it to mean "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night", which is much harder than the single request of "Silent Night" that I think they meant. But it's still a tall order for a motley crew with no time to practice. I'm going to suggest the group do "Jingle Bells" and maybe "Frosty the Snowman" or "Winterwonderland", because no-one will physically hurt us if we mangle those. They're fun songs!
It's frustrating, because the plan changes so much, and they seem to forget that these things take time to prepare. Oh well, hopefully it will all work out. Jessie and I are working to make "Silent Night" a solo for just the two of us. Hopefully that will work out.
Well, that's all for now.

No comments: