Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cleaning time

I know I've mentioned this before, but I find it so hilarious, that I have to mention it again.
Korean schools have no janitors. Instead, the students clean the school during a fifteen minute break towards the end of the school day.
When I got here, I thought, oh wow, what a neat idea. That would really make students have a vested interest in keeping the school clean. They wouldn't mess it up if they were the ones who had to clean it, right? And surely, they would clean it pretty well, since they do it every day!
Well, that's just wrong, and looking back, incredibly stupid.
I have a better name for cleaning time. Recess. Recess with mops and dustpans to hit eachother with.
In Canada, students would not be able to clean half of the stuff they do here. They use squatters here, so no toilet paper is flushed. Instead, it is stacked, dirty, in little garbage bins next to the hole you crap in. There's no way that students would be allowed to handle that in Canada! It's a health hazard! You would need 17 weeks of WHMIS training on how to put on rubber gloves just to go near that! And not to mention that at co-ed and girls' school, there are other much more obviously dirty pads stacked in the pile.
Now, this pile never gets cleaned. If I was a students, I wouldn't go near it. I mean, the taps in the bathroom don't even have hot water, they rarely, if ever, have soap, and there's no towels. So the bins are left unemptied, and they overflow. They are precariously stacked layer upon layer by students and teachers alike. Oh yeah, the students should clean the teacher's bathroom too, but they of course do not.
SO anyways... enoguh complaining. I've already done this one.

the reason that it is a hot topic right now is that I just got the key to the english lab. The staff room was unbelievably hot, and I was getting pretty tired from it. So I moved into the lab, where it is much cooler.

Oh crap, there's a class in here. Back to the teacher's room. I'll finish later.

okay.. another post soon to follow about what just happened.

So, the english lab.

Last week, I tried to get in, only to find that the key I was given didn't work! I tried and tried, I even got students to try. I told Sukkyeong, and she said I must be mistaken, that's the right key! She came, and I tried again, but I was afraid I would break the key for twisting it so hard.
We went back to the staff room, and checked the big hunk of wood that holds copies of all the school keys.
The key on the big hunk was totally different. I mean, not even close. There was no way it could have opened the lock. I had to laugh, it was hilarious!
Why so funny? Because Sukkyeong had insisted it was the right key.

How did she know?

It's the key the student uses every day to clean the english lab!

Ta-daa!

No comments: