Thursday, April 27, 2006

great day

So, aside from the kids not knowing how to read, today was actually a great day.

My last class was good, and revealed further awesomeness AND a dark side to James Park.

I did more review of short and long sounds, and again went through how to turn short sounds into long sounds using e. Pretty exciting stuff. Out came the dark side, when I gave heck to "Mr Dictionary" for the fourth time. He came over, and grabbed his face with his hands. I've seen this before, they're pretty ahnds-on with the old discipline. But then he put the spine of his dictionary against his forehead and then slapped the other side. I felt bad, and Mr Dictionary looked like he was about to cry.
But he didn't. Neither did the three other kids who got "spined".
But they did deserve somthing, there's no doubt. Since detention and expulsion are not allowed here, I guess spining is where it's at.
I also confiscated a tube of white-out, and a couple of improvised crossbows made of automatic pencil lead containers. Pretty ingenious.
As we left classroom, I was saying I felt bad, because in middle school (equivalent) I was pretty disruptive, and for the same reason why kids like Mr Dictionary are disruptive. I was bored, and so are they. The hagwon kids, who already know how to read make up about 2/3 of the trouble makers. And no wonder, I'd be acting up too, because I'd have already taken down the notes, and been almost to the point of being able to teach the class. Just as some of them are!
I showed James Park the little crossbows, and he said they were actually pretty neat. I agreed, and said they must be pretty smart to figure that out. Then he said "They are like that man McGyver on television."

I think I have a soul mate. *sniff*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt. Really great that some of your pupils are able to read now.Just keep up the good work.I guess teaching is challenging.Anyways get back to you soon.
Love
Dan, Ghana