Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Had to pull out the big voice

I just had another really bad class.
It started with the students all running in to tell me that one of them had recently declared her love for me. Well, great, that should make it easier for them to take me seriously.
They laughed every time I even looked at her table, and were continually cracking jokes, and then the things I usually have to do just to hold their attention reduced them to hysterics.
Plus, I'm doing phonics. There is no way to show them how to produce sounds with overexaggerated tongue positioning without being funny. So basically I was screwed.
By twenty minutes into the class, I was just counting down the minutes. But they just kept getting louder, making fun of the girl, and imitating me making long "ZZzzz" noises for them to imitate, with my fingers on my throat to show them it is vocalized... ugh.
By that point, it got to be too much. I could not control them, and only four or five of the thirty of them were responding/repeating after me. I was beyond the point of no return. I had to use the big voice.
I hate to do it. It makes frosh cry, and has reduced grade three middle school boys with devil may care attitudes to whimpering. Rarely used in the girls' school, it is still quite potent (compared to the boys' school where it has lost a lot of its once-mighty effect).
Just one word, and the room fell literally silent.

"HEY!!"

After that, there could be no game. Luckily, no-one cried today. I would have felt bad, even though they were acting like crazy people.
So, the game got shelved, and instead, they worked on a word search. Less active and fun, but at least they were quiet, and I think I may have squashed that little crush, which is good too.

No comments: