Monday, April 10, 2006

The Trip Home

So, the trip home was just as exciting. First, in an effort to rejuvenate the area where Rodrigo and Sarah live, huge light sculptures had been erected over the street, which made it look like a Vegas-y canopy. It was pretty neat.
Unfortunately, due to the cultural festival taking place in Mokpo this weekend, the streets were very busy and I had a horrible time finding a cab. I had to run across five or six lanes of traffic in the end to get one, and it was going the wrong way.
I went to E-Mart, with a mission to buy wine, and also to look for a new hoodie. I went upstairs to check out the hoodie selection, and the one I have been eyeing for a while was marked down to $7. Cha-ching. Then, I found a cool shirt of performance quality (extreme embroidery) and a nice dress shirt to wear to work. Heading back downstairs, I found two dress shirts for ten dollars each! Sales racks rule!
I also found wine at greatly reduced prices, and wound up getting seven bottles. Sure, it got some looks… but that’s a great price! I have the day off tomorrow for the school’s anniversary, so I will be heading back to see if they have restocked!
I headed to the lockers after I had checked out to get by bag out. I looked up, and saw this girl, somewhere between 20 and 25, staring at me through the window. Nothing new, so I just ignored it and shuffled stuff around between shopping bag and backpack.
I headed out down the road to the bus stop, enjoying the beautiful night. It was still pretty warm, and there was a nice breeze. It was just really pleasant. I noticed the sound of someone following behind, and it was the girl! I was walking quite a bit faster, and every once in a while I would hear running behind me! When I looked back, it stopped, but she would be obviously closer. Then, we’d walk more, and then she’d run to catch up again.
The third time, she finally caught all the way up, and said “Are you English?”.
I said “No, I am Canadian. But I speak English.”
Turns out she had been studying English for a year in London, but came back after one year. I assume she meant London, England, but that was never confirmed. She walked with me about halfway to the bus station, and then said she lived in Samho, which is on the same bus route as Yeongam. I thought that was pretty neat. I told her that Jessie taught there, and she said too bad, because the English is so low there. She kept walking with me. It was nice, but I was getting a little weirded out. I decided to go with it, because it was nice to just meet someone and actually be able to speak with them!She walked all the way to the bus terminal with me, so I assumed that she was going back home on the bus too. She even waited outside when I popped into Paris Baguette to get muffins! Then, she saw me to my bus and said goodbye! It was very strange. I’ll post her picture too. I took one, I did not want to forget.

No comments: