Thursday, April 06, 2006

Wow, that was the worst class in a long time.

In order to properly paint this picture, I first have to tell you about yesterday, and how awesome it was.
So, I cam to school with no real plan, just an idea to review long vowel sounds. I tried last week, but what I had planned proved to take way too long, so I figured I would play it by ear. The basic idea was this: go in, review "A long vowel says it's name" and then make lists of words they already know with that sound. sounds easy, right? Well, sometimes that can be very misleading.
But yesterday, it was not. My grade ones cleaned up. They were coming up with twenty or thirty (sometimes forty) words per vowel, and quite often I had to cut them off so that we would not run out of time, even though they were still shouting them out. And surprisingly, it was really fun. Somehow these kids made a class of making lists not only fun to participate in, but also fun to teach.
Man, those are great kids.
Today, the grade twos were (well, class 2-2) were another story entirely. I explained what a long vowel was, and then I said "What does a long 'a' sound like?"
"..."
"What sound does a long 'a' make?"
"..."
"Long 'a'?"
"..."
"... sound ... like...."
"..."
"'a' word...."
"Apple?" (at this point I considered jumping out the third story window)

So, brutal. When I finally did manage to convey what I wanted, they spoke so quietly, I couldn't hear them. I mean, this class has really bad accents, so it's hard enough anyways. But they'd say something I'd say "Leaf?" they'd say no. I'd say "Leap?", they'd say no. I've say "Leave?" they'd say no. Then my coteacher would say "They're saying 'live'."
Well that's just plain wrong.
Gah!
Anyways, my lists shrunk drastically from the previous 30 to 40 words down to six or seven per vowel sound, most of them being words I blurted out after not understanding what they had actually said. Do you know how hard it is to run a 45 minute class with 30 words the kids already know?! I'll tell you. Damned hard. It's the teaching equivalent to trying to spread one individual serving butter packet over a whole loaf of bread.
My coteacher actually apologized. I think sometimes she is embarassed by how little her classes seem to know. I mean, she was their teacher... so maybe it's legitimate. But the problem's way bigger than her, so I don't hold it against her.

Well, that was a good vent. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Oh man, the insecure volleyball guy (mentioned in a previous mass e-mail - he's a ball hog who pushes the women out of the way and plays the whole court) just came in. I knew it was him before I even looked, because he walked in yelling, and with audible swagger. Oh man... one of the new ladies who teaches here is currently horking into her garbage can. What a magical place.

No comments: