Saturday, April 29, 2006

We were walking through the city around City Hall when we returned to Seoul. We were walking by Deoksugong, an old palace. We just happened to be walking by during a reenactment of the changing of the guards. Apparently, many of these guys are doing their compulsory army time by doing these performances. Pretty cool, I think. I'd rather do this. I think.Here's another picture, same thing. As we were walking through Deoksugong, we were hearing this classical music. I figured it was through the PA, because sometimes they pipe in music. When we rounded a corner, we found that it was actually a full orchestra, warming up for a performance of the Seoul Chamber Music Festival. Pretty lucky, and at was a great thing to just stumble on. Here's Jessie and her dad walking through Deoksugong. This is an amazing picture that Jessie took of lanterns set up for Buddha's birthday in Tapgol Park. This park had the number 2 cultural heritage artifact, which was a ten-foot pagoda. Not ten building stories, but ten pagoda stories. That was another lucky thing we didn't plan. We just wound up being in Seoul for the biggest celebration of the year. This is another great picture that Jessie took. This monk was just sitting there, just thinking. Here's a lucky picture that I got. I was actually taking a picture of the little carriage being carried by these young men in the background, but just as I was taking it, this beautiful monk stepped in the way. She looks so thoughtful... I am really happy that I caught it. Continuing in the lucky streak, the next thing I saw were these young girls, who had clearly just gotten off stage from some performance, or were on their way to a performance. They were very happy to pose for all the foreigners who scrambled to tkae a picture of these super cute little girls in their traditional hangbok.

No comments: