Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Speaking French

Jessie got a call the other day from Shannon Falconi, her coworker at The North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority. They chatted for a long time, and it sounds like we may be getting together with her and her boyfriend at some point in the future, which is pretty exciting.
One really interesting thing that came out of their conversation that I have been meaning to write about and kept forgetting was French.
I don't know why, but ever since I got here, whenever I am in a situation and I am struggling to come up with a Korean word, I will without a doubt revert to French. "How do you say..." becomes "Comment dit...?" all the time.
I guess that as Canadians educated with French, we just have a "foreign" mode, that is most easily filled by French. When I scramble for a word, I usually wind up pulling out a French one.
Anyways, I just think it is neat. And I'm clearly not the only one that it has happened to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just by the way, i do that all the time too, especially when i'm trying to figure out spanish words...

Anonymous said...

Ooh yes, this happens to me a lot as well! I've taken some German classes, and whenever I didn't know the correct term in German, I'd fill it in with French automatically. Now that I've stopped taking German and back into the French courses, I often have the reverse problem!
Funny how our brains work...