Sunday, April 02, 2006

The walk to the boys' school


As I leave my apartment on the way to the boys' school, I usually take a look up to my left. This way leads through rice fields, and is where I usually go to take walks. But, it's a long walk, and usually I leave just in time to go the quick way.

So, I turn away from the left and go right. The street is surrounded by walls, which makes it fun when you're walking during a busy time, and you have to hug the walls to make room.

At the bottom of the hill, I can turn and see our whole building. Ours is the one on the left, and the Ryus live in the one on the right. Note the palm tree. It is especially nice when it is covered in snow. Turning back to the road, I can get another good view of the mountain over the housetops. The flowers are beginning to bloom on some of the trees, as you can see. Next weekend, I think, will be the cherry blossom festival in our area. It is rumoured to be "the most beautiful thing ever" and "world famous", like everything else here! Finally, I hit the main road, then the fun really starts. Whee!! From the main road, I can see the park across the street from our apartment. It's especially beautiful in the morning, when the sun shines through the trees. Well, I don't need to tell you, you can see it. This house is right below the park. They have so many dogs, including a gorgeous black lab that is unfortunately kept on about four feet of chain. Note the "bongo" truck in front, this is the vehicle of choice for farmers throughout the country. Bongo bongo bongo!

Here I come up to the corner. Every day on her walk, Jessie turns left here. On my walk, I go straight. Today, there is clearly something to celebrate, because someone was getting some early morning flower deliveries from the flower shop on the left.

Just a little farther, you can see all the way to the "okori". This means 0 - five kori - intersection. It's a five way intersection, and the hub of the city.

No comments: