Friday, March 24, 2006

The ajoshi is me

Today has been pretty good. Aside from some stress related to the fact that my money has yet to be transferred from my bank account to my credit card, everything is great. I'm not worried, it's from TD to TD, but I want it to happen so that I can sign up for my Athabasca University course.
The chapter we are working on this week is called "Is this York Street?". It has a dialogue that is way over their heads about some people looking for a Korean restaurant in New York, apparently the only people in the world outside Korea who would do so. Sorry... lunch was especially bad today. The soup actually made me break my usual fake face of "mmm" in favour of my "WTF?!?!" face.
Anyways, it is really fun. It's tough, because there is a much larger language barrier here with new kids, before they learn to recognize the same questions that I ask every week. I'll give it two more weeks...
Jessie had a really good idea for a game, and it worked out really really well. One student leaves the class, and then you hand out cards with the place names on them. Then, the student comes back in and says, for example "Where is the bank?". Then the class directs them to the student with the bank card. "Is this the bank?!", and all the kids scream "YES! BANK!!!!"
So it's a lot fo fun. The last class caught on to the fact that they could lie, so it was really really funny.
I caught a kid calling me "ajoshi" today, which is the first time that I have caught it, but definitely not the first time it has happened. "Ajoshi" is kind of a blanket term you can use to call men older than yourself. It literally means uncle. I'm pretty happy that I caught it.
Anyways... I have had a pounding headache, which has made the yelling a little harder to deal with, but it's okay. I'm happy anyways. The only bad thing is that the weather is beautiful, I am being let out of school early for all Fridays now, but I have this damned headache, when all I want to do is walk around and experience the sights, sounds and aromas of a Southeast Asian spring.

No comments: