Thursday, March 02, 2006

Opening Ceremonies

So, my school day is officially one period in.
The day started with what I thought was an opening ceremony. There was supposed to be one in first period, so I was shocked when it turned out to be all the teachers just gathering for a regular staff meeting. I was wrong actually, it was just a warm-up for the real thing.
And once they get the ball rolling, watch out!
So, after a few minutes of wondering why everyone had stopped talking (including the teacher whose cellphone rang in the middle of the meeting and had to leave) I was asked if I wanted to go to the ceremony. Always being up for a ceremony, I accepted.
When I got there, I saw two rows, one of grade twos and one of grade threes. No grade ones though, which seemed strange. Well, no grade ones at all, except for what I have to assume were grade ones being led around by their mothers this morning.
It was chaos, they were pushing and shouting, and a teacher at the front was attempting to restore order.
Finally, it was time to start, so cue the national anthem! Oh wait, there's a curtain in front of the framed flag! Oh crap, it's tied and pinned together! Well, we can pull those out easily enough by jerking the curtain! Oh, the curtain won't open that far! Too bad it cost us about 5 curtain hooks being torn out to reach that conclusion! Oh, now they're tied together! Someone run and get scissors!
So, it was crazy.
Finally, the curtain was opened, and the national anthem began. I'm not sure it was the official one (not that I could pick it out of a lineup), but it was strange. I couldn't find a melody, it was just all fanfare. Really strange.
Then, the new teachers were introduced, and they lined up at the front and bowed. Then the students bowed. Then the administration bowed. Then I got awkward and bowed for no reason.
The principal then gave about a ten minute speech, which sounded like he was giving the students a stern talking to. I felt guilty, and I didn't even know what he was saying. I did hear what sounded like "Pope John Paul" at one point, but I think that that was just a coincidence more than anything.
Then, he bowed, the students bowed. Then the teachers bowed. Then I bobbed around a bit.
And now I'm wondering what just happened. Where are the grade ones?!

No comments: