Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Happy as pie

I am in love with my job right now, at this moment.
I think that this semester is going to be much much better than last.

First, I have received an awesome compliment. Well, indirectly. The bottom line is that at both middle schools that I teach at, the grade ones are being declared much more advanced than the other grades. This is a compliment, because I taught them all last year.

Thank you, thank you.

I taught three grade one classes today. They were all great. I taught one class phonics, and one class got the "these are classroom commands that all of your teachers should have been using", minus the "that all of your teachers should have been using part. I am surprised at how well it has worked with the classes that I have already taught it too, as they are very very quick to repond to the simplest commands, such as "Take out your notebook" already, which got no responses before.
Also, they love me. They rush me before and after class and ask if I remember them. Of course I do. I think that there are some students here that I will never forget. And for some reason, I connect much better with the younger students. I think it is because they are too young to have realized that they have no real reason to learn english.
I also had a grade three class today. Somehow over the course of the summer, they transformed from my favourite students into the same class of a-holes that I had in grade three last year. They all pretty much ignore everything I say, and I often just feel like sitting down in class and just waiting out the clock...
But... HOW ABOUT THOSE GRADE ONES?!

Really, the grade twos will be in a sorry state, because they were the lowest level classes last year. But I have more better ideas now, and they all were engaged in class last year, so it should be okay. Two classes out of twenty with non-cooperative grade threes will not kill me... more cloze excercises and text book activities will hopefully be good work for them while preventing any more huge flops in that class.

Well... I did not mean to start complaining. I will now stop.
I am super happy. This is going to be a really good semester.

No comments: