Wednesday, March 08, 2006

First days

I'm back at school, and I am really enjoying it.
Yesterday, I was at the girls' school where I got a lot of get well wished from students whose classes I had missed on Monday. That was nice.
In class with my grade ones (three classes of them) I had a lot of fun. Most were students that I had already taught before at the elementary school. They all knew me, how I taught, and were very good and attentive. The grade threes were also good, they've seen me, but I have only taught them one class (which I volunteered for) before, so I still have some mystique there.
Mr Hyun came upon me in the english lab after my last class (at around 3:30) and asked me what I was doing.
"Nothing." I said.
"Maybe, you go home."
And I was gone...
I had my first piano lesson in a week and a half too, and was surprised at how easily I took to it again. I was really struggling with this left hand pattern, but after half an hour of practicing, my teacher told me "Small practice, big percentage!", which I decided to take as a compliment.
Jessie's school had a dinner last night, which kept her out until 9:00. I made stirfry, officially perfecting my imitation of mom's recipe (frighteningly easy).
Today I am back at the boys' school. My first class was again with old elementary students, and it went well. I'm teaching them class commands and words, like "May I go to the bathroom?" and "Please open your book to page number..." That's good, it's reallly something they need.
It looks like I will be filling in parts of the textbook too, so that will make my life a LOT easier, as it will mena a lot less planning on my part.
I was dreading my grade threes, as I was worried that they would be too hard to handle. They are very loud, but I did okay, which is a good sign. We wrote "Three goals for the upcoming school year" and then presented, after I covered classroom commands, of course. It was busy work, but some of them got into it, and one short kid actually declared that he wanted to get tall. I told him to work hard, and about half the class laughed, which was a really good sign for their listening comprehension.
Just before lunch, I was complaining about the food to a friend from university. But it was actually good today. However, I was horribly embarassed when, in attempt to communicate that the soup had duck in it, one caf lady quacked loucly, causing her coworker to double over in laughter, right in front of my grade threes. To make matters worse, I recognized it as duck soup before she said anything.

So, I am looking forward to the new semester. It seems like I can avoid a lot of the mistakes I made last year, and I'm also learning how things work here, so I will have a lot fewer surprises.

No comments: