Monday, March 13, 2006

The easiest battles of our lives

A few weeks ago, Jessie was told that there was some extra budget money around to buy her textbooks and resources for class, as well as a DVD player for the apartment, and anything else we might feel that we needed. It was a total budget of close to $1000, which is awesome.
So we debated a bit, and decided to ask for no DVD player, as there is nowhere in this town to rent DVDs, and the last thing we want to do is collect a bunch of Korean DVDs that will not play in Canada. Jessie teaches out of the textbook, so she really has no need of money for supplies.
The one things that we really could use is an air conditioner, so we suggested that, since it gets so hot here in the summer.
Anyways, last week, we were told that we would not only be getting an air conditoner, but also a DVD player (yay!), and an oven! The oven was exciting news, since that was another thing we had specifically said that we did not need to increase the air conditoner budget.
So, that is awesome. We had the stuff installed on Thursday night.
On Saturday, I went to Mopko to dig out some pizza ingredients. When i got home, I made some crust, and we had home-made vegetarian pizza (good luck finding pepperoni here!). I made some other stuff (rolls of sugar and cinnamon crust with apple sauce in them, bad) and garlic crust (good).
On Sunday, I made one with some fried chicken on it... so good. So good.

Today, I arrived at school. I told my coteacher in passing that Jessie and I had been feelign a little under the weather over the weekend, and that my throat was really sore. We also talked about the yellow sand storm, a yearly phenomenon where dust from the Gobi desert in China rains down on Korea for a few days, namely this past weekend. It's kind of the buzz on the ESL boards right now, so I was interested in it, and he said that it bugged many westerners, and made some sick.
About half an hour ago, Mr Lee came into the english lab and said, "Maybe tomorrow you should stay home because of the yellow dust." I felt bad, because I thought maybe I had overstated how bad I was feeling. I tried to clear it up.
The Mr Lee cleared it up. Apparently Mr Hyun has yet to have classes with hs grade ones, whereas tomorrow would be my second class with them. Me coming and not teaching them would not fly, but my not coming so that he could have his classes is cool. So, it is, as Mr Lee put it, "our little secret".
It is so weird! I can't believe that happened that way.

Coming soon... pictures of pizzas!

No comments: