Monday, March 06, 2006

The Dawson's Creek Effect

I keep hearing "Oh, you look so young!"
I'm not alone either, apparently this is a pretty common thing for young male ESL teachers to experience. I'm often told I look like a high school student, which I think is a little off the mark.
I mean, have these people seen even Korean high school students? I know I look young, but come on!

Anyways...the point of all of this is that I have a theory about the cause of this youngening.

Here it goes:

In Korea, there's not a lot of interaction with other cultures (if you've read along, you know that) aside from TV, especially in our area of Korea. Who do they see on TV? Well, they see Dawson's Creek, The OC and the like
In Dawson's Creek, you have a 21-year old van Der Beek playing 15 year old Dawson.
So, let's take 23-year old Matt, de-age ( for benefit of the doubt) by two years, and I apprently look like I am fifteen, to someone who has never seen a teenager of european descent in real life.

Here's the formula:

Apparent age = actual age + no beard - six

In my case, I added a "no beard" coefficient. You see, at 21, Mr van Der Beek had a five o'clock shadow at 4:30 (am). If you are wondering what your apparent age in Korea might be, simply head for the mirror, and count the hairs in a 1cm squared patch just above your lip (ladies are excluded).
Here's the formula for the no beard coefficient:

"no beard" = (40-x) * 2 (where x is the number of hairs)

If x is greater than 40, the no-beard effect can be ignored.

That is the Dawson's Creek effect on apparent age.

No comments: